Thursday, January 22, 2009

How do you decide...

So I have 3 weeks to come up with 5 possible sites that I would like to go for my third clinical. Here's where it gets difficult to decide...this clinical is a free option of what we want it to be. My two favorite options are pediatrics and sports medicine. But I am having a very hard time deciding which one I want to do an 8 week clinical in. Here are my reasons for loving both options...

Pediatrics:
  • I see myself working in peds someday...I am realistic and know that starting out in peds is not easy and not always the best option. It's a good idea to get experience dealing with adults and getting comfortable practicing before you go into peds work.
  • Kids make me smile. Take for instance today; I was having a grouchy, no good day that was turned completely around by having a fun lab day with school age kids.
  • I like to squish little ones. They are so fat and squishy and cute.
  • I find working with children rewarding and exciting.
Downside:
  • Less options for clinical sites...but not impossible.
  • Babies cry and spit up.
  • That's all I could think of...

Sports Medicine:
  • Sports med is what I know best. I have had a love for sports med for a long time now and have a great background in it because of athletic training.
  • I love the sports setting and doing rehab that is sports specific.
  • It would be an excellent area to begin working in after graduation.
  • There are more options for sports clinicals.
Downside:
  • I know this area the best so should I branch out and do something different?
  • I could be passing up an opportunity to make myself look more experienced in this area if this is the area I try to get a job in.
  • That's all I could think of...
See...tough choice! Got any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Whatever gets you to spend 8 weeks with me. No, that's not fair to put you under that pressure. I take it back. Oops. The back button doesn't work on my keyboard right now...teehee. [On a serious note, I'll pray He gives you the insight for that decision.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. sports med....also the area you're most experienced in being on the patient side. :) I'd go for peds...don't have a clue why

    ReplyDelete